Monday, April 30, 2012


90% of the time little, but high speed, traffic.

10% of the time gridlock.
The SFCTA (SF County Transportation Agency) is doing a Bay Bridge congestion study which will make recommendations on how to deal with the rush hour gridlock.  It's a challenge since the Bay Bridge is at capacity during rush hour so the congestion comes primarily from queuing, or storing, cars that will eventually get on the Bridge. No amount of tow-away lanes or turn lanes or even additional traffic lanes will get any cars on the Bay Bridge any faster. The current design tries to solve for less than 10% of the hours a week, and it fails miserably. The other 90% of the time it makes for an unfriendly, and downright dangerous, pedestrian and cyclist experience. 

The current design gives people false hope that this is a good way to get on the eastbound Bay Bridge.  At the Harrison on ramp seven lanes neck down to one which creates a very slow commute, increases local pollution, and delays MUNI buses such as the 10 and 12 that have routes through the neighborhood.


  1. Please comment on these ideas!
    Thanks, David

  2. I must say that this is a very scary block to be a cyclist or pedestrian. Drivers turning left from Bryant are quite anxious to get onto the freeway and this endeavor seems to make them lose sight of the pedestrians crossing the intersection. This same enthusiasm to get onto the bridge quickly also makes drivers less patient (and drive very fast while changing lanes!) on this block which endangers cyclists and other drivers. I wonder if we can discourage drivers from using this particular block of Second Street to reach the Bay Bridge? It seems that those drivers could take 3rd Street to Harrison Street. Both of those streets are better suited for this heavy rush hour traffic.